Lahti Precision’s roots stretch back to 1906, when P. Kuivalainen established an engineering workshop in Lahti, Finland, to repair machinery and manufacture iron beds. Operations expanded rapidly and the company was incorporated two years later under the name Lahden Rauta- ja Metalliteollisuustehdas Oy (later Raute Oyj).
When demand for iron beds began to decline in favour of wooden beds, the company switched to manufacturing scales in 1914 and the factory began to develop expertise in weighing technology. The scales were originally manufactured mainly for use by households and shops.
From the 1930s onwards the company began to develop new types of scales for industrial and warehousing applications. It also developed scales for weighing vehicles. Already then the importance of a customer-based approach was recognised, as the factory manufactured scales for the individual needs of its industrial clients.
The 1960s saw major investments in R&D. A pioneer in scale technology, the company developed the photoelectric code sensor. The first electronic scale was delivered in 1964. The size of deliveries also grew, and the company began project deliveries for ready-mixed concrete suppliers and glass factories, for example.
The switch from mechanical to electronic scales led to growing need for automation, and in 1975 the company established its own electronics plant.
The company began to grow internationally in the 1980s in response to foreign demand for expertise in weighing and dosing, handling bulk materials and the related automation. The company’s reputation as a supplier of complete weighing stations grew as it aimed to command the entire measuring chain for industrial weighing applications, from the individual components to the automated control systems. The company’s expertise was further enhanced with the establishment of the Mass and Scale Laboratory and Materials Laboratory.
The company’s biggest companies were in the construction materials industry, the steel industry, the chemical industry and the food industry. The company also began turnkey deliveries to the raw material plants of glass factories, the plaster and mortar industry, and the metallurgical industry.
In 2004 the company was acquired by its management together with the investment company Eqvitec Partners. The company’s name was changed to Lahti Precision in 2007. Three business units were established within the company: Glass Industry, Mortar Industry and Technology. The company also launched its Lahti Mixer product family. Today the principle owner of Lahti Precision is the investment company Verdane Capital.
Over the past hundred years, Lahti Precision has developed into a leading expert in the processing of powder-type materials. With our strong domestic market and local expertise, we have grown to become a modern and global export company. Our scales and components have developed through all the stages of mechanics, electronics and automation.
Our operations have always been very customer focused. We want to help our customers succeed in their own processes in the best possible way.